Some time ago I've written
about software support for bike speedometer for n900. It was proof of concept CLI realization in Python. Now firs beta of normal application is available. It was rewritten in C++, which decreased CPU usage by four times. For the beginning speed, trip distance, average speed, average speed in last 5 minutes and clock are supported. So this is already a usable solution. Now the main question is "How many people are interested in this and why n900 can be better, than usual bike computer?"
GUI is written using QML, so it is customable and skinable. Attached archive includes sources and built binary (bike and bikeui.qml). To test the program you just need to copy them to the phone. If you don't have sensor
yet you can simply blow to phones microphone. The programm would think, that you are moving fast.
What else can be done:
- Speed graph. Just need to draw it, data is already collected.
- Incline detection and logging (using accelerometer).
- Road quality detection (using accelerometer).
- Racing with yourself (record speed once, than show your position relatively to your best result on the same track).
- Racing with other people (share recorded tracks).
- Pulse sensors support (or may be think about integration with eCoach?)
- Chain tension sensor (is it needed)
- Calories calculation (I newer needed it, but it seems to be popular option)
I don't want to say, that I'm going to implement this all. Current version does most of what I need. I just want to show, that much more can be done if there are interested people.
I've rebuilt the program with QT 4.7 which is available in extras-devel. If the program does not work, than you need to install libqt4-experimental-declarative